Wednesday, January 7, 2009

artists statement

I employ the human figure as a metaphor to probe socially related themes and try to perceive underlying connections that exist between seemingly disparate things. I have been examining hierarchies of power within social structures and how social structures are created, where they originate, and the way the social structures fluidly transition into one another as a means of sustaining themselves and expanding indefinitely. I’m interested in the way these structures embed themselves in unexpected places and the various forms that they take on. My aesthetic includes collecting my own drawings and paintings done in a variety of medium on different paper surfaces, and reassembling them with texts of my own that I collage together in layers. The approach becomes an extension of the content and process becomes integral to the end in the use of a variety of surfaces that become connected through the piece, the layering suggests the constant transformation of society and constant shifts of power at every level.

No comments: